Management: Awakening a Giant

Of the 434 enemy companies seized by the U.S. Government during World War II the chemicals, camera-and copy-equipment complex of General Aniline & Film Corp. was by far the biggest. It has also been the longest held by the Government. Taken over in 1942 on grounds that its Swiss owners were a front for Germany's massive I.G. Farben, GAF has remained a Government fief while the Swiss and the Justice Department battled over the 93.5% interest involved (the other 6.5% is publicly held). Last week, with a compromise finally hammered out, Justice...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!