The Law: Reaming-Out Dr

The drain in her bathroom sink was clogged, and Mrs. Frances Moore of Oak Lawn, Ill., decided to clean it out with Drāno. But before she could unscrew the cap, the can exploded at the seam and her face was splattered with the product, which is more than half lye. In less than two minutes, she was blinded for life. That was nearly eight years ago. Last week, after listening to her story, a Cook County Circuit Court jury decided that the Drackett Products Co., manufacturers of Drāno, should pay her $930,000.

The size of the award was largely due to the...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!