Hallucinogens: Trips That Kill

Somewhere, somehow, John H. ("Chip") White Jr., 17, heard that inhaling the fumes from an aerosol can of cocktail-glass chiller was a cheap and safe way to turn on. So Chip, the son of a New York advertising executive, began sniffing the stuff. Last week he bought a fresh supply at a hardware store and took it to his house in Greenwich, Conn. He suggested to his sister, Lucie, 11, that they both try it. It was 8 p.m. While their parents sat downstairs, Chip and Lucie went into a second-floor bedroom. When...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!