Medicine: Pregnancy Control

The 400 experts assembled in Cincinnati by the American Society for the Study of Sterility devoted more than half of their three-day meeting (ended this week) to the 10% of U.S. couples who want but cannot have babies. But the biggest news concerned the other 90%—the couples who, without contraceptive measures, would have more babies than they want. The consensus: research into the chemical, medical and social aspects of the problem is fast progressing to the stage where simplified but still safe contraception will be available at prices that most of the world's...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!