Not counting such surefire box-office hits as Around the World in 80 Days, The Ten Commandments, Giant and Oklahoma! because they were released so late in the year, there were 109 U.S. films that grossed $1,000,000 or more domestically in 1956, according to Variety. The top five:
1) Guys and Dolls (Goldwyn; M-G-M): $9,000,000
2) The King and I ( 20th Century-Fox) : $8,500,000
3) Trapeze (Hecht-Lancaster; United Artists): $7,500,000
4) High Society (M-G-M): $6,500,000
5) I'll Cry Tomorrow (M-G-M): $6,500,000...