Business: The In-Between

United Aircraft's Pratt & Whitney division announced last week that it was ready to start commercial sales of its T-34 turboprop engine, the most powerful on the market. Up to now, the T-34 has been available only to the armed forces, which are installing it in an Air Force Douglas Globemaster and in two Navy Lockheed Super Constellations. The T-34 will develop 5,600 h.p., delivering 90% of it to a propeller and the remaining 10% to a jet thrust. Though turboprop planes are slower than pure jets, they are more efficient at take offs and low speeds, use far less fuel.

...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!