Medicine: Poison to Taste

When Marion Gleason was a busy housewife with four small children, she had an experience that leaves any mother limp: the maid who gave year-old Peter his morning tablespoonful of cod-liver oil picked up the wrong bottle one day, and the baby became violently ill. The bottle contained a strong disinfectant. Peter recovered (he is now, at 31, a radiologist). Last week, thanks largely to that experience, the name of his mother, Marion N. Gleason, appeared as senior author (although she has no degree in medicine or chemistry) over the names of two...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now


Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!