AGRICULTURE: Poison in the Panhandle

In Texas' panhandle last fall, herds of cattle suddenly sickened and died of a strange disease. Calves of sick cows were stillborn or died shortly after birth. The symptoms (watery eyes, sores and a leathery-looking skin) indicated a vitamin deficiency. But doses of vitamin A did no good. Veterinarians at first called the sickness "Disease X," finally diagnosed it as hyperkeratosis,* a poisoning caused by chlorinated naphthalene. It was traced to cotonseed feed pellets made by Fort Worth's Traders Oil Mill Co.

Traders, which had changed the lubricating oil on its pelletmaking machinery...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!