MANNERS & MORALS: Americana, Dec. 4, 1950

MANNERS & MORALS

¶ A TV set provided an unnerving experience for Ernest Kolesiak of South Bend, Ind. Kolesiak was on the roof tightening guy wires on his antenna when it toppled across a 27,000-volt power line. Immediately, great balls of fire bounced up & down on the roof with thunderous explosions, the plumbing threw off sparks, and pipes melted around the kitchen sink. Mrs. Kolesiak, peeling potatoes, found her spectacles flecked with molten metal, the television set burned out and one of the knobs blew off, the telephone went dead, a glove lying in the yard burst into flames, and the...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!