Medicine: Handle with Care

A new danger was added last week to the hazards of everyday living. Carbon tetrachloride, an important ingredient in most non-inflammable cleaning fluids and many hand fire extinguishers, was described by three General Electric Co. doctors as a dangerous poison which can kill or cause serious illness.

In two U.S. communities last year (Richland and North Richland, Wash.), said the doctors in the Archives of Industrial Hygiene and Occupational Medicine, there were two deaths, one near-fatality and four cases of hospitalization caused by carbon tetrachloride poisoning. Investigation showed that one teaspoonful of the...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!