The Press: Miami Beach Divorce

All pressagents have to start somewhere.

Stubby, moon-faced Stephen Jerome Hannagan made his start by shouting the praises of Billy McCarney's troupe of barnstorming auto racers. His big chance came, 20 years ago, when Promoter Carl Graham Fisher put him in charge of Miami Beach's publicity. Hannagan set up a news bureau, sent northward a steady flow of good copy — about 25% society notes on what the home folks were doing down South, the other 75% pictures of pretty girls in bathing suits. Miami Beach prospered, and Steve Hannagan got a lot of...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!