THE DRAFT: 750,000 Ayes

General George C. Marshall, Chief of Staff, last week reduced the argument over draft extension to its simplest terms. Said he (to a Senate Committee): "Is there an emergency? I say there is, and the War Department says there is. You gentlemen will have to settle it."

To some 750,000 young U.S. citizens, the question was absurd. These recently turned 21-year-olds had registered for the draft July 1, had their numbers drawn last week in Washington. Government bigwigs, 50 draftee and volunteer noncoms, World War I veterans, reached successively into the same...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!