Business: Budd Burgeons

Philadelphia's Bustleton was bustling last week. Grey-haired, abstemious Edward Gowen Budd, 74, had just leased from RFC the $21-million. 24½-acre. Bustleton war plant (in which Budd has produced planes and munitions for two years) for his famed auto-body and streamlined train-building company. Budd's lease had set a reconversion mark for U.S. industry (particularly Competitor Pullman); no other company had taken over a plant so big from the war-industry plants now on the block, and reconverted it.

The RFC deal was a five-year lease on 77% of the new plant (rental $649,806 a year), with an option on the other 23% if...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!