Medicine: Deadly Confusion

It happened again last week. The scene of the tragedy was New London, Conn.'s Lawrence & Memorial Associated Hospitals. This time it was a woman pharmacist, who mistook boric acid for dextrose (the crystals look much alike) in filling some bottles with babies' formulas. Result of a four-day diet of boric acid to 23 babies: four dead, several others sick, the pharmacist in bed with nervous collapse.

...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!