Religion: Trials

If for any urgent reason a Rector or Minister ... or the Parish committed to his charge, its Vestry or Trustees, shall desire a separation and dissolution of the pastoral, relation, and the parties be not agreed . . . notice in writing may be given by either party to the Ecclesiastical Authority of the Diocese or Missionary District. The Bishop, in case the difference be not settled by his godly judgment, . . may ask the advice and consent of the Standing Committee of the Diocese. . . . —Canon 42 of the...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now


Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!