Out last week was the Treasury's list of top salaries* paid in 1939. As usual, cinema stars endorsed some of the fattest pay checks. The biggest ten: 1) Gary Cooper (Samuel Goldwyn and Paramount Pictures), $482,819.
2) Thomas J. Watson (International Business Machines Corp.), $442,560.
3) George Washington Hill (American Tobacco Co.), $420,299.
4) Francis A. Countway (Lever Brothers Co.soap), $383,210.
5) William S. Knudsen (General Motors), $372,366. (Mr. Knudsen's next full-year pay, from OPM, will be $1.
6) James Cagney (Warner Bros.), $368,-333.
7) John Ford (20th Century-Fox), $320,000.
8) A. A. Somerville (R. T. Vanderbilt Co.Manhattan chemical distributors), $278,476.
9) Edward C. Stone (Employers'...