Animals: Poisoned

Last week in Cincinnati a glass-topped metal casket was on view. Flower sprays were banked by the coffin. Nearby was an oil painting of the deceased. In two days 1,000 mourners filed silently past. The deceased: King, a German shepherd, one of the two first guide dogs in the city. Reason for the fuss: King had been poisoned. Such a wave of sympathy followed King's death that Cincinnatians saw hope for a $10,000 farm where guide dogs could be trained (as at The Seeing Eye, Morristown, N. J.) to lead Cincinnati's 550 blind.


Want the full story?

Subscribe Now


Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!