Medicine: Cancer Accident

Eight women and two old men, receiving treatment for cancer at Orlando, Fla., last week became violently ill. With muscles screwed up in agony, they died within a few hours of one another, suffering either from tetanus or from what doctors called "anaphylactic shock." Their deaths were traced to hypodermic injections of a special bacterial filtrate. The physician of the victims, conscientious Dr. Thomas Albert Neal, protested that he had administered 10,000 injections of the filtrate during the past two-and-a-half years "with remarkable success and with no previous ill effects." He announced his...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!