Business: Ford & I. G. F.

To thrifty Germans came last week a disappointment. From them was suddenly snatched away what looked like a surely profitable investment. They had intended to buy, at 109 marks ($26) per share, some 54,500 shares in Henry Ford's German company. With this company, as with his other continental subsidiaries, Mr. Ford had intended to keep 60% of the stock in the hands of Ford of England, the parent and leader of his European family. The other 40% he was to distribute among German citizens. Inasmuch as stock in the other Ford companies had invariably enjoyed a rapid rise from its offering...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!