The Treasury Department has perfected plans for attacking the rum smugglers who infest our coasts:
1) to build 20 cruising cutters.
2) to build 200 cabin cruising motor boats.
3) to build 100 smaller speed boats.
4) to increase commissioned officers of the Coast Guard from 209 to 353.
5) to increase warrant officers from 396 to 716.
6) to increase enlisted personnel from 4,051 to 7,122.
It is estimated that an appropriation of $20,000,000 will be necessary for the new boats and an additional $8,500,000 for the increased personnel. President Coolidge is understood to have approved the...