FARMERS: Pig Surprise

Last January AAA sprang its great corn-hog reduction program. The hog part of it provided that every farmer who cut his hog birthrate 25% during 1934 would get a bonus of $5 a head for the other 75%. To many a Midwestern farmer who usually raised 100 hogs this meant $375 of wel- come Government cash if he would raise only 75 hogs. That was what Secretary Wallace had in mind.

But to the hog-raisers of New England it meant something else. A. F. MacDougal farm agent of...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!