Medicine: Crile Claims

Burned blackly into medical annals is the fire in Surgeon George Washington Crile's .Cleveland Clinic (TIME, May 27, 1929). The fire occurred in a basement room wherein were stored x-ray films. The burning films emitted fumes (carbon monoxide and nitrogen tetroxide) which killed scores of Dr. Crile's patients, doctors and employes on the spot. Other scores died during the following weeks. Deaths eventually totalled 125.

Last week a Cleveland court wrote the end of Dr. Crile's black chapter. Six injured persons and the families of 63 dead ones had sued the Cleveland Clinic...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!