In Rangoon last fortnight, Narasingha Swami, Indian mystic, ate a
handful of ground glass, drank half a drachma of nitric acid, some
sulfuric acid, also swallowed a grain of strychnine and a grain of
potassium cyanide.. He died in agony. His friends explained it was
because he had been kept from doing his yatayoga (breath-control and
autosuggestion exercises) by swarms of visitors at his house.
To continue reading: or Log-In
Want the full story?
Get TIME the way you want it
Week Digital Pass — $4.99
Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS — $2.99
Year ALL ACCESS — Just $30! Best Deal!
Print Magazine + Digital Edition +
Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com
Learn more about the benefits of being
a TIME subscriber
If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!