Science: Motor Exhaust Detoxicator

Temperate traffic policemen who grow dizzy on duty know that they are not drunk, but are mildly poisoned by carbon monoxide puffing invisibly from motor vehicle exhausts.— Carbon monoxide's first effects are like those of alcohol. Heavy concentrations of the gas, as in closed garages, kill quickly, painlessly. Carbon monoxide (CO) is the result of incomplete combustion. Complete fuel burning would give carbon dioxide (C02), a gas ordinarily harmless to animals.† But no motor is 100% efficient with its gasoline. Some CO always escapes, dangerously. For him who invents a way...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!