Science: Cat Static

At Grand Rapids, Mich., the city pound manager put a cat into the asphyxial chamber with some dogs. The cat arched its back and spit for a fight. Its fur was bristling. .The manager slammed the chamber door and turned on the gas. The box exploded, injuring human attendants. Another explosion followed a similar experiment. Last week under the same circumstances there was a third explosion. Deduction: static electricity from the fighty cat's fur ignited the lethal gas. Authorities considered having the Grand Rapids Gas Light Co. perform further executions under contract.

...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!